First Week

July 12, 2013 - Belles starts panting heavily in the morning. She stopped. Later in the afternoon, she started again. CoCo, her mother, would have her puppies three days early. I just had a feeling! I decided to try and get some sleep Friday night. I woke up around 1:15AM.

July 13, 2013
At 1:35AM, Belles started barking for no reason at me. So, I set up my yoga mats next to her pen. I put my hand on her belly and the puppies were all really moving around. Belles would sit up and lay down going between heavy panting and lighter pannting. Then, she would look at her bottom. Each time she did this, I would expect a puppy to pop out. Nothing yet we decided. I could tell when she would start pushing. Then, her little tail would go up. At 1:55, her water broke. Around 2:30AM, I heard a strange noise. I looked and there were feet under Belles. I cut the first puppies' cord. The first puppy was a girl and turned out the only light colored puppy! She didn't latch onto Mom by herself, so I helped her. There is a new born puppy smell you learn to love. The puppy starts crying and Belles licks her so much - I thought she might hurt her. About 2:55AM, Belles starts acting like another one is coming. At 3:05AM, a little dark boy slipped out. I don't think Belles even knew she had him. I had a feeling I should look around and there he was in his sack. I took the sack off his mouth, and he started to breathe. He and the rest of the puppies were black when they were born. I cut his cord and put tied it off. I put him up to Mom, but he didn't know what to do. It seems she just didn't have much milk in yet. Puppies have to smell since they are born with their eyes closed. They also cannot hear for awhile. I gave him some purchased milk to get him going. Then, we waited 2 hours! Around 5:10AM the third black female came out. Belles was so intent on eating the after birth that she forgot the puppy. When they eat the after birth, the mother ends up chewing off the sac and cutting the cord. She was breathing on her own! At 5:25Am, Belles starts painting heavy again. At this time, two have learned how to latch onto Mom. At 5:35, a little black female had her head out of the sac. I went ahead and cut the cord while Belles cleaned her up. As the mother cleans up the puppy, she stimulates their breathing and helps them get any mucus out of their lungs.


My friend Debra, who is getting a pup from this litter, came over.  Together we watched the puppies change color in their first hours.  All dark ones started becoming lighter except for #6.  About 9:30AM, they weighed 6.5 ounces each.

2:30 AM - Female - Wheaton with black mask
3:05 AM - Male - Black Brindle
5:10AM - Female - Will possible be a Silver Brindle
5:35 AM -  Female - Brindle
7:36 AM - Female - Black with Silver Brindle

I have to carry her outside to potty.  After the puppies and only nursing awhile, she had already lost all her weight!

July 14, 2013

Today, they started gaining weight and started weighing between 8 to 9.5 ounces.  During the day, the puppies weight would change up and down.  Belles is a very protective mom and only food can get her to leave her puppies!

July 15, 2013

Not much will be going on for the next two weeks, except nursing, sleeping, and gaining weight!