10-29-13

Today, Dolly finally accomplished a rollover (wasn't sure it was actually going to happen)!  I say finally - we had only worked on it once before.  I roll them over and over after they open their eyes.  I'm just hoping this would help them orient quickly.  I have probably waited too late to make it easier on myself with Dolly.  She is stubborn and doesn't want to ROLLOVER.  We also work on SHAKE PAWS and BEG.

Some of the dogs will naturally gravitate toward a command and probably do it on their own.  Flopsie just begged on her own.  I tried to get Chase to show Dolly how to ROLLOVER.  She never took her eyes off the treat to watch Chase, so I gave up that idea.  Tazz watched CoCo act and PLAY DEAD.  Tazz became very stubborn and only learned SIT, DOWN, and SHAKE.  Of course, I had medical problems with her and didn't push her much.  But one day, Tazz just PLAYED DEAD.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  They say dogs learn from each other - I thought it only applied to BARKING!  But Tazz had incentive.  She wanted a treat!  She saw what CoCo did for a treat, and she decided to try to on me.  It worked because I gave her all kinds of treats!  I was so proud of her learning a new command!

Looks like Dolly is going to have good concentration like Grandma CoCo!  After a hard 10 minutes of commands, Dolly finally accomplished a ROLLOVER!  Yeah!  The next ones were so much easier !!

DOWN is the hardest command for a dog to submit themselves to do.  This is the reason I teach them early - before they go to their permanent homes !