8-19-13

I love to write on my iPad in bed as ideas come to me.  So, I have already typed up an outline and started filling it in on my book - How to Raise A Cairn Puppy this morning!  I will try and put this together as fast as I can, so you have a chance to read over it before you pick up your puppy!

Wow!  They continue to make a bigger and better mess each morning!  Now, the pens and toys have been cleaned.  They will begin again!  Hint:  One of the pens had to go outside they morning to be sprayed down.

This leads me to another observation.  This is pretty cute, but puppies will back up to poop!  So, it ends up in some very difficult places to clean!  As they get older, it is good to have them in their pens.  Another thing I have had to clean up is poop off the walls.  They have a tendency to wipe themselves on the walls!  Just wanted to throw that in there for a warning for the new parents!  Puppies are messy, but worth it - if you can keep your sanity!  Just laugh -- it makes it easier!  And remember I have puppies at the messiest stage of their lives in multiples of 5, 6, and 7!   Then, it makes it easier to deal with one puppy at a time!

As I'm cleaning the poop side of the pen, they are being entertained by food!  Anyway, we all know what that means - more poop!  Just remember when you feed them, they will poop once after every meal.  You will be feeding them three times a day for awhile!  When they can go outside, take them for a walk after the meal.  The food helps stimulate the digestive system, and they should be ready to poop after their meal.

At this time, I already have them eating their dry food three times a day!   Momma Belles continues to check in on the puppies from time to time.  She is still very protective of the other dogs.  In fact, if another dog even threatens to move across her Master Bedroom boundary, so goes into a barking fit if she is in the utility room with the puppies.  If she isn't in the utility room, there doesn't seem to be a problem.  At this time, all the dogs are living in the Master Bathroom if they aren't outside.  If she is in the utility room and another dog dares to enter through the kitchen door, she goes into the barking fit again!

Belles is a very protective mother to say the least!

#1 discovered the rooster with the strange sound this morning.  It is a new toy I just put in their pen (I actually bought it for the older dogs).  Zoey (#4) has been having a great time making it squeak too, but every time I go in there to take video they stop.  I keep thinking I want a nanny cam(which I continue to investigate)! If you get the wireless cam, it would be great for the parents who go to work, but still want to check on their puppies time to time.  Remember to take toys away and give them back to them. It is like a kid getting a new toy from time to time.

I also put an empty water bottle into the pen for a new noise today.  They looked so startled when I crunched it for the first time.  Start saving your water bottles!  Belles still loves to play with one.  They have toys now that you can hide the bottle in which are really fun for your adult dog too!

Cairns are not scared of anything naturally occurring!  But we bring them into our houses, and they have to deal with so many unnatural sounds.  So, I try to get them acquainted with as many sounds as possible.  When you get them home, be sure to make sounds!  If you raise them in a perfectly quiet environment, they will have more of a tendency to bark at sounds.  Of course, they might anyway.  We want to get them to become oblivious  to sound in the house.   If they do bark, they are probably trying to tell you the sounds are hurting their ears since they can hear more than we do and at a different frequency.

The noise has stopped in the pen, so I'm sure they have all fallen asleep.   The question is:  Which side of the pen are they sleeping on?

Another load of wash has been completed for the puppies!  I have found if the fuzzy animals get dirty it is best to put them in a laundry bag in the washer - just in case some stuffing comes out and it isn't as hard on them during the wash cycle.

Well, it seems every time I go into the utility room, another puppy has pooped!  I am very thankful since Week 3, they know to poop on the other side of the pen!  In all this time, we have only had one poop on the wrong side of the pen!  How smart are these puppies?   Very intelligent.  In fact, you have to learn to out smart your puppy!  I consider it a game - AM I SMARTER THAN MY TERRIER or CAN I PROVE I'M SMARTER THAN MY TERRIER???  I'm still trying to out smart them in my garden!  Your thought process has to be very flexible!

#6 - She has this little noise she makes - it means - PICK ME UP AND LOVE ME NOW!  She just loves for me to hold her close and get loved!  She saw me picking up #1 and loving her, then I heard the sound again. Obviously, she had already forgotten she had been held twice before this morning!  She might be a little jealous!

Wow, I can get my breakfast before 10AM today!  But I still need to feed the adult dogs now!

Checked in on the puppies.  #1 is on her back again.  She is using her feet to play with Maggie's head instead of taking her nap!  Sounds just like a kid!