09-13-13

It is Sept 13, 2013.  The puppies were born on July 13, 2013.  Sometimes, it feels like it has been such a short period of time to watch them grow and develop their personalities.  At this moment, they have worn me out this morning, and they still have more energy to play!

This is our last full day together with the puppies and Belles.

We were up at 5:30AM.  I put them in the utility room to clean up their pen.  They played and played!  Belles came to see them.  I let her into the room.  I thought she won't stay long, but she go them lined out and continued to play with them.  When she left, she stole their new pink ball!  I put her in the kitchen with the three puppies leaving tomorrow.  Not much happened.  Then, I put Tazz in their for more socialization.  She growled.  I'm going to be posting the video of her growling because it will give you an idea of how to growl at your puppy when it needs correction.  Don't say NO- NO-NO to them. In their world, it doesn't mean much.  They speak another language.  They understand happy tones and deep tones.  Make your growl deep and your fun times with them use your happy voice!  If you want them to learn, make it fun and light hearted.  They will shutdown if you don't, then you and the puppy become frustrated.

After Tazz, I came up with a new game for them because I couldn't get them going!  See video.  I have been trying to find more of the toy I used because the last litters loved it.  Koa was the alpha and would lead her pack around the island playing with it.  Not this group.

I have also used the gas can on correcting their tearing up their potty pads today.  For awhile, they seemed to get the message.  They have periods where you don't want to do anything to scare them or they could become shaky dogs.  You can use it to your advantage.  We were at my parent's house and Flopsie tried to dart after a car.  She was in one of her fear periods.  I reacted to keep her safe.  She became scared of cars.  This was great because I don't think she would chase a car, but she didn't like getting into a car.  She became car sick due to her fear.  Flopsie went to live with Amy in January.  Just before she went, I tried a thundershirt on her.  And it worked!  Amy took it from there and took her places.  Flopsie had an association of bad things with the car and me.  Amy says she is great in the car now.  So, this shows you had behaviors develop, and they can be changed.  It just takes work!

I put their new collars on them this morning.  You will have to watch the clasp.  I think they are making them cheaper and cheaper.  This brand is ZACK and ZOEY.  I wouldn't recommend them.  I also don't think these will last as long as they should because they will out grown them.  Let me know what you think later.  It says it adjusts from 6 inches to 10 inches.  Maggie and Zoey should end up with a size 14" collar.  The others are smaller and will probably be a little less and maybe harder to fit.

It is funny.  I just realized I call Belles - Sweet pea when she comes in the door!

I will be emailing your receipts to you today.  Just bring cash for the small balance for the shots.  I went ahead and got purchased a heart worm pill.  I will show you how I give it to them when you pick them up.  They will be getting a puppy gift and a box to play with at home!  When you visit you vet, you will need to get another pill for next month.  The third month they take their heart worm pill  - you should be able to buy a whole package for a 6 month supply.  The pills go on weight.

Your puppy will need to be fixed around 6 months before their hormones develop.  You will find the vet charges by weight when they have surgery and getting their teeth cleaned.   This is a good incentive to keep them trim.  I suggest getting a measuring cup and placing it in their food, so you don't over feed them or anyone who feeds them for you.

The puppy manual is almost complete.  I will get your contracts ready today, then work on the manual more - if I have time.  I am going to try and get good pictures of them today out in the yard.  Consider the manual in rough draft form, but it gave me a deadline to get it written.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.  I will try and to continually improve it for the next litter!

If you have any questions in the puppy manual, don't hesitate to text, email, or call me!  Nearly everyone has questions during their first year - especially when you are getting use to them and their personality!

We went for our shots yesterday.  Both times, no one had a problem with the shots.  Make sure your vet uses a small needle behind their neck - not in their rump.  I was told vets who use less expensive vaccines will place the shot in their rump.  This happened to Flopsie.  She was so sore.  These puppies just came home and played both times.  You never knew they had shots at all!

8:30AM - I had their pen all cleaned up.  While I was on the computer, I heard what I didn't want to hear.  They had a grand time in their pen tearing up all the paper I just put in the pen!!  It is trash day.  I had already put the trash down, but I have another small can to take out there now!

Maybe, I can get my breakfast now!  Everyone else is fed.  Chase and Belles were telling me the neighbor's moving van showed up, so they had to come in the house.

It is a sad week for me because the puppies are leaving and my great neighbor is moving to Galveston today.

2:40PM Cheryl came over with her husband.  He has been wanting to see Cairn puppies for awhile.  They helped me take pictures, then I tried to get more pictures after they left.  I love to take cute pictures of them.  It seems I haven't had the time.  This was our first summer litter, and it may be the last!  Anyway, the puppies seem to be worn out because they are very quite!

When I was getting things together for tomorrow, I noticed the heart worm pills were different.  They are large pills which need to be chewed.  I tried to give Hello Dolly and Sweetpa their pills, but they wouldn't eat them.

So, I tried Maggie.  She ate hers - of course!  LOL!